|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
A little orange zest gives this basic banana bread extra flavor. If you can wait, give it a day to mellow for best flavor.
This everyday banana bread will be a go-to recipe you'll make again and again.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon
- baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed, about 1 cup mashed banana
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Grease and flour a 5x9x3-inch loaf pan. Heat the oven to 325 F.
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter or margarine with sugar until fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time, until fluffy.
Stir in flour mixture alternately with mashed bananas.
Fold in pecans and orange peel (you may substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla for orange peel). Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a wooden toothpick, when inserted in center, comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then carefully turn the bread out onto a rack to cool completely.
Make this banana bread a day ahead of time for best flavor.