- 2 1/2 cups
- cake flour (sift before measuring)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups sifted confectioners; sugar
- Grease two 9-inch layer cake pans and line with wax paper or parchment paper rounds, or grease and flour a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan. Grease waxed paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and spices. In a large mixing bowl cream 1/2 cup of butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with mashed bananas, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat well after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s); bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched lightly with finger.
- Cool in pans for about 10 minutes (13x9x2-inch size may be left in the pan) - remove to racks and remove wax paper.
- Cool thoroughly before frosting.
- Cream 1/4 cup of butter with the 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
- Combine 1/2 cup of mashed banana and vinegar.
- Add banana mixture to butter mixture alternately with confectioners' sugar.
- Beat until frosting is fluffy.
- Garnish top and/or sides of cake with chopped toasted pecans, if desired.
*To toast nuts, spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 350° oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. Or, toast in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|