|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Total Carbohydrate 43g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This banana cake recipe is flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. It's a two layer cake with a banana buttercream frosting. Try making this the next time you plan on going on a picnic, or serve it as a light dessert for dinner.
- For the Cake
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (sift before measuring)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 bananas (ripe, peeled and mashed; about 1 1/2 cups)
- For the Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
- Optional: toasted pecans (chopped)
Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, this cake is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and cooking.
Make the Cake
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease two 9-inch layer cake pans and line with wax paper or parchment paper rounds or grease and flour a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan. Grease the wax paper.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with mashed bananas, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat well after each addition.
Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched lightly with finger.
Cool in pans for about 10 minutes. Remove to racks and remove wax paper.
Cool the cake thoroughly before frosting.
Make the Frosting
Cream together the butter with the salt.
Combine the mashed banana and vinegar.
Add banana mixture to butter mixture alternately with confectioners' sugar.
Beat until frosting is fluffy.
Garnish top and/or sides of cake with chopped toasted pecans, if desired.
- To toast nuts, spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 350 F oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. Alternatively, toast in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.