|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 24 to 36 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This wonderfully moist banana cake is topped with a delicious cinnamon glaze and it is quite easy to make. The recipe is spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and the sour cream ensures that it remains nice and moist. If you like, you can even add your favorite nuts.
Banana cake is a great way to use up bananas that are past their prime, so it's a wonderful alternative to banana bread. The recipe also gives you a sweet dessert that's unique and definitely not your average chocolate or vanilla cake.
- For Banana Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- Optional: 1/2 cup nuts (of your choice, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated or 1/8 teaspoon ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup bananas (mashed, about 2 to 3 large bananas)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Cinnamon Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1–2 tablespoons milk (or cream)
For the Cake
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9" x 13" baking pan with non-stick foil.
In a small bowl, combine flour, chopped nuts, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk until evenly mixed and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the sugar and oil together. Add bananas, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture for two minutes until thoroughly combined.
Using a large fork, mix in the dry ingredients by hand, stirring only until combined. The batter will have a thin consistency.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until lightly browned and the top springs back when lightly touched.
Let cool to room temperature.
For the Cinnamon Glaze
Whisk together confectioners' sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and milk or cream. Add only enough cream to make a spreadable glaze.
Put the glaze on top of the cooled cake and cut as desired.
- While it does add to the flavor, if you're not crazy about cinnamon, feel free to omit it from the glaze. If you just want to minimize it, cut the measurement in half. Do keep the cinnamon in the cake itself because it and the nutmeg give the batter a nice flavor that would otherwise be bland.
- The batter may also be used for making delicious muffins that are great snacks or light breakfast. All you need to do is reduce the baking time to about 20 to 25 minutes and put the batter into a greased or lined muffin tin.