Banana Caramel French Toast is a fun and decadent variation on the delicious french breakfast treat. Using a nice crusty baguette makes for a hearty and rich base for the caramelized bananas. I love making french toast for all of our weekend guests. It's delicious, it's a great way to use up leftover bread, and it's really easy to assemble. You also don't need to serve anything else with it! It has many of the food groups already included! Although I would never turn down serving it with a side of bacon!
Caramel sauce is so much easier to make than you may imagine. It just requires a little water, sugar, butter and heavy cream. It is important to only stir it with a wooden spoon. A metal spoon will agitate the sugar and cause it to crystalize. I don't really understand the science behind it, but that's what happens!
You can easily replace the bananas with apples in this recipe. You can also add a little rum and turn it into bananas foster french toast!
- For the French Toast:
- 1 large baguette (or loaf of brioche)
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- For the Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 to 2 large bananas (sliced)
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, milk, cinnamon, and sugar in a large bowl or baking dish. Slice the baguette into thick slices and dip into the egg mixture. Soak each side for about 2 minutes, depending on the staleness of the bread. The more moist the bread, the less time it will need to sit in the egg mixture.
- While the bread is soaking, heat the sugar and water on the stove until it turns light brown. You may stir it but only with a wooden spoon. (A metal spoon will agitate the sugar and cause it to crystalize)
- Once it turns light brown, shut off the heat and add in the butter and stir to combine. Add in the heavy cream and stand back because it will steam and foam.
- Stir until completely combined and let cool slightly. Keep covered on the stove while you prepare the french toast.
- Cook french toast in a buttered pan on medium heat until each side is golden brown. Keep the bread slices warm in a 200 degree oven while cooking the remaining bread.
- Add sliced bananas to the caramel sauce and serve over the french toast!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|