This is a basic banana bread recipe with a twist -- made with the addition of dates. The dates lend an extra dash of sweetness to a classic, comforting baked banana bread. Perfect for breakfast, tea or coffee time or whenever your sweet tooth needs indulging!
Related Recipe: Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the shortening until creamy, about 1 to 2 minutes with electric mixer. Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat until thick and pale lemon in color, then add in dates.
- Add flour mixture and bananas alternately, blending well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 20 minutes then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Banana Bread Recipe Favorites
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|