This banana nut cake with chocolate icing is one of those rare kosher for Passover desserts that you'll want to serve year round. (It's also a great way to use up leftover matzo cake meal after Pesach.) The dark chocolate icing can be made either pareve or dairy. It's a nice touch for fancier meals, but you can omit the frosting altogether -- the cake is so moist and delicious, you can serve it unadorned for casual snacking.
- For the Cake:
- 4 ounces/3/4 cup walnuts (ground)
- 4 ounces/3/4 cup hazelnuts (ground)
- 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup matzo cake meal
- 4 large eggs (separated, at room temperature)
- 1 banana (peeled and mashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the Icing:
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter (coconut oil or margarine)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease an 8- by 8-inch cake pan or glass baking dish with butter (if making the cake dairy) or oil (if making the cake pareve). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ground nuts and matzo cake meal.
- In a large bowl, using electric beaters or a balloon whisk, beat the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar until the yolks are thick and lemon-colored. Stir in the mashed banana and vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites and salt using clean, dry beaters or a whisk until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue beating just until the egg whites hold stiff peaks.
- In 3 additions, alternately fold the nuts, then the egg whites into the yolk mixture, ending with the whites. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and gently smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Place the cake on a rack, and allow to cool in the pan.
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing: Place the chocolate, butter (or coconut oil or margarine), and orange juice in a small heavy saucepan set over low heat. Whisk constantly until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before spreading over the cake. Enjoy!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|