|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 drink (1 serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Total Carbohydrate 230g||84%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||34%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The sweet taste of a freshly made banana smoothie is hard to resist. While you can add all sorts of flavors to it, the basic recipe will show you just how easy it is to make at home. It's a tasty option for a simple breakfast smoothie and a healthy treat for a hot summer afternoon.
This banana smoothie recipe requires just five simple ingredients, all of which you may already have in your kitchen. It's an excellent way to use up ripe bananas before they're too far gone and only good for banana bread. The smoothie is sweetened with honey and uses vanilla yogurt to give it a lovely creaminess. Don't skip the vanilla extract, either! It gives the smoothie a subtle depth of flavor that really sets it over the top.
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the ingredients into a blender in the following order: honey, vanilla extract, bananas, vanilla yogurt, and ice.
Gradually increase the blending speed and blend until the mixture is smooth.
Pour the drink into a chilled glass.
Serve and enjoy!
- Make a large batch and store the excess in the freezer. When you're ready for another smoothie, set it out for about 5 to 10 minutes so it softens up enough to drink.
- Replace the honey with agave nectar. For a liquid sweetener that's a perfect pairing for bananas, try cinnamon simple syrup.
- Replace the yogurt with a scoop of ice cream to create more of a banana milkshake. While vanilla is often preferred, chocolate's a great option. It's best to add 1/2 to 1 cup of milk as well.
- No yogurt? Blend your smoothie with 6 ice cubes (or 1/2 cup crushed ice) and add about 3/4 cup of milk. Coconut milk and any of the popular dairy alternatives work well too.
- Add strawberries for a strawberry banana smoothie.
- Peanut butter banana smoothies are delicious and a little more nutritious with 1/4 cup of oatmeal blended in.
- Use sesame paste with a little cinnamon to make a banana tahini smoothie.
- Build a banana split smoothie by liquifying your favorite banana split toppings. For instance, use just one banana and add 1/2 cup of diced pineapple and 1/4 cup of fresh strawberries. Squeeze in fun toppings like chocolate, butterscotch, or caramel syrup, or add a tablespoon of peanut butter or coconut flakes. Top it with whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and a maraschino cherry.
- If you want to spike this drink, add 1 ounce of banana liqueur. Or, use a flavored vodka like whipped cream, vanilla, or banana (it's hard to find but out there).