We are all accustomed to the delicious banana quick breads that we find in the markets, but did you know that you can also add mashed banana to yeast breads? Just like adding apple sauce to yeast doughs, mashed banana gives the finished bread a delicious, sweet flavor and makes the crumb very moist.
- 1/2 cup milk (room temperature)
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup banana (mashed)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups bread flour
- In a medium bowl, mix the milk and yeast. Add mashed banana, egg, butter, honey, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir well. Add 1 cup of flour and mix again. Slowly add in the remaining flour, enough flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for 4 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is soft and smooth to the touch. Place the dough in a medium greased bowl. Turn the dough over in the bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with a clean cloth or wax paper and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until it is doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough with your hand. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for 4 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the dough. Shape the dough into a small round loaf. Place the loaf on a greased baking sheet or small pizza pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until it is doubled in size.
- Bake the loaf at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Remove loaf from the sheet and let it cool on a bread rack.
Bread Baking Tips:
- You can use any type of milk in this recipe: whole milk, skim, low fat, etc. Milk can also be replaced with water and nonfat dry milk.
- Milk can be replaced with soy, almond, or cashew milk.
- You can omit the egg in this recipe and replace it with 1/4 cup water.
- Egg substitute can be used in place of the egg.
- Mashed banana can be frozen for later use.
- To prevent the honey from sticking to your measuring spoon, coat the spoon in a tiny amount of cooking oil.
- Vegan butter or coconut oil can be used in place of the butter.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|