Buy jars of these ingredients and keep them on hand in your kitchen for those times when unexpected guests arrive or you receive a last-minute invitation.
- 1 box round toothpicks
- 1 jar gherkin pickles
- 1 jar cocktail onions
- 1 jar green olives (pitted & stuffed with pimento, garlic or anchovies)
- 1 can anchovies
- 1 can chunk white tuna (in oil)
- 1 can artichoke hearts (in water or oil, cut in halves)
- 1 jar banana wax peppers (or pepperoncini)
- Optional: 12 quail eggs (boiled)
Note: You will not need ALL of the ingredients! We recommend that you choose 3-4 different ingredients to slide onto a toothpick. Pick items that you think will go well together. Lay each one on a plate until you have a nice, colorful presentation.
- Traditional banderillas are made with the pickle, onion, olive and tuna skewered onto the toothpick, however, you can mix and match the ingredients listed above.
- Be careful to choose peppers such as the suggested Banana Wax Peppers or Pepperoncini and not a hot pepper, such as Jalapeño. Hot, spicy peppers will over-power the rest of the ingredients.
- For something a bit different, add a hard-boiled quail egg to each toothpick!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|