Want to make your own barbecue sauce? Then this is the base you need to get started. This recipe will give you a good, thick tomato sauce that you can then add to.
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in a saucepan. Cook until transparent.
2. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper, paprika, mustard, and Tabasco. Mix well. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low and add tomato sauce and vinegar. Let simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
4. From here you can add whatever flavor you want: brown sugar, honey or molasses for a sweet sauce; chiles and cayenne for a hot sauce; or liquid smoke for a hint of smokiness.
Be creative with it. or liquid smoke for a hint of smokiness. Be creative with it.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|