A tangy homemade barbecue sauce and bacon give these lima beans excellent flavor. The sauce is made with sauteed onions, ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce.
The beans are simmered until they're tender and then they are baked to perfection with barbecue sauce and bacon. Ham can be used in the beans instead of the bacon, or dice and brown some smoked sausage and add it to the beans and sauce.
- 1 pound large lima beans (dried)
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup water
- 6 strips bacon
- Rinse the beans under cold running water and pick them over, discarding malformed beans and any debris.
- Put the beans in a large pan or bowl; cover the beans with 5 cups cold water. Cover the pan or bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, turn the lima beans and soaking water (do not drain) into a 5-quart kettle or Dutch oven Bring the beans to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, or until beans are tender and liquid is almost absorbed. If necessary, add more water.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon of salt, dry mustard, and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Drain the beans, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid.
- Add the beans and the 1/4 cup reserved liquid to the sauce; mix well.
- Turn into 2-quart casserole or baking dish.
- Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, saute bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Remove the cover from the lima beans. Arrange bacon over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|