These old-fashioned stuffed baked apples are delicious, and the spices will make your house smell wonderful! Add a scoop of ice cream or freshly whipped cream for a fabulous dessert.
Feel free to replace the raisins with dried cranberries or chopped dates.
- 6 large baking apples
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Wash and core apples, then remove a 1-inch strip of peel around the middle of each apple. Arrange the apples in a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Combine brown sugar, raisins, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl; fill the center of each apple and dot with 1/2 teaspoon of the butter.
- Add just enough water to baking dish to cover the bottom of the dish; bake, uncovered, for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until apples are tender. Large apples will take longer. Baste with juices occasionally.
- Serve the apples warm with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|