If you have three ripe bananas, you can bake this easy, delicious loaf of banana bread. Don't let the simple list of ingredients fool you—the flavors are well-balanced and the bread is wonderfully moist. If you're looking for a basic, delicious loaf for your friends, family, or a bake sale, look no further. In fact, you may want to make two loaves and freeze one for another day.
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, butter, and beaten eggs. Whisk to blend thoroughly.
In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Stir to blend the dry ingredients.
Stir the dry ingredients into the first mixture until blended. Add the chopped nuts.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the center rack of the preheated oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Let the bread cool completely on a rack before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
- As with most quick bread, the dry ingredients should be mixed into the wet mixture gently. The leavening begins working as soon as the mixtures are combined, so make sure you have your oven is preheated and pans are ready before you do the final mix.
- Cold ingredients can slow rising and baking times. Bring eggs, milk, and other refrigerated ingredients to room temperature before you begin for best results.
- Because oven temperatures can vary by several degrees, begin checking quick bread around 10 minutes before the end of the recipe baking time.
- Does the loaf seem to be browning too quickly? Tent the pan loosely with a sheet of foil.
- If your bananas are underripe, there are a few ways to ripen them quickly. Place the unripe bananas in a paper bag with a ripe apple, pear, or tomato; stand at room temperature for 24 to 48 hours. Or, place the unpeeled bananas—yellow, not too green—on a baking sheet and bake them in a 300 F oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the peels are dark.
- In addition to (or to replace) the chopped nuts, add about 1/2 cup of mini or regular semisweet chocolate chips to the batter.
- Add 1/2 cup of raisins, chopped dates, or another chopped dried fruit.
- Spice it up with about 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg.