This dough makes slightly sweet, light and fluffy buns. Use this dough to make Chinese cocktail buns and other basic Chinese bun recipes. This recipe is reprinted with permission from Chinese Cooking (Company's Coming).
This recipe uses bread flour, which has a high protein and high gluten content which helps the bread rise and take shape.
- 1/3 cup water (very warm)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 cup water (boiling)
- 1 large egg (fork-beaten)
- 2 1/4 cups white bread flour
- Stir warm water and first amount of sugar in small dish until sugar is dissolved. Sprinkle yeast over top. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast.
- Stir second amount of sugar, salt and cooking oil in large bowl. Add boiling water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in egg and yeast mixture.
- Slowly work in enough flour until soft dough forms. Turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel. Let stand in oven with light on and door closed for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. Cover. Let rest for 5 minutes. Shape into 12 inch (30 cm) log. Cut into 12 pieces.
- Fill, shape and bake buns according to desired recipes. Makes 12 buns.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|