|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||31%|
|Total Carbohydrate 43g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Cornbread dressing is an essential item on the Southern holiday dinner menu. Our family always boiled a hen for the broth and added some of the chicken to the dressing, but a good quality (preferably no-salt) stock will work as well. This version is made with about half cornbread and half breadcrumbs.
Because this is a basic cornbread dressing, it's open to all kinds of variations. That is not to say it needs variations. It's delicious as it is! See the tips and variations for some flavor and add-in ideas and how to cook the dressing in a slow cooker.
- 5 cups cornbread crumbs (torn)
- 4 cups plain white bread crumbs (torn)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups celery (chopped)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme (crumbled)
- 2 teaspoons dried sage (crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram (crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, (beaten)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat oven to 400 F (200 C/Gas 6). Butter a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread and bread crumbs.
In a small skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
Add celery and onion and sauté until the onions are translucent and the celery is tender.
Combine vegetable mixture with the bread and cornbread crumbs.
Then stir in chicken broth, thyme, sage, marjoram, salt, and pepper until well blended. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
Stir in the beaten eggs until well mixed.
Spread the dressing in the prepared baking pan.
Cover tightly and bake for about 30 minutes.
Uncover and continue baking for about 20 minutes or until browned.
Serve alongside your choice of protein and enjoy!
- Use your favorite cornbread recipe to make the dressing or make it with a good Southern-style cornbread mix. Try to avoid a sweet cornbread recipe or mix.
- With Hard-Boiled Eggs - Chop two hard-boiled eggs and add them to the bowl with the bread and cornbread crumbs.
- With Chicken - Add 2 cups of shredded or chopped chicken (or turkey).
- With Sausage - Cook about 1/2 pound of sausage until browned; drain well. Add the cooked crumbled sausage to the dressing along with the chicken broth.
- With Oysters - Chop about 1 dozen shucked oysters to the dressing along with the chicken broth.
- With Apples and Cranberries - Add 2 cups of chopped tart apples and 1 cup of dried cranberries.
- Slow Cooker Directions - Butter the inside of a slow cooker. Sauté the vegetables and combine with the crumbs, broth, seasonings, and eggs as directed. Spoon the dressing mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 3 to 4 hours.