Many people buy store-bought BBQ sauce and doctor it up the way they like it. Here's a basic version to try the next time you're grilling.
- 1 bottle store-bought barbecue sauce (plain variety works best)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ketchup
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) onion powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) hot sauce
1. Place bottled sauce and brown sugar in a large saucepan. Let mixture come to a slight boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add ketchup, molasses, cider vinegar, onion powder, and hot sauce. Stir through and let simmer for 5 to 6 more minutes.
3. Remove from heat and use. If making ahead of time, cool sauce to room temperature and place into an airtight container.
Store in the refrigerator for up 5 days after preparation.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|