A graham cracker pie crust is an easy, delicious option for many pies. It's also far less time consuming and takes less skill than a standard pastry crust.
Cream pies, frozen pies, cheesecakes, key lime, and icebox pies are all wonderful with graham cracker or cookie crumb crusts.
This is a simple, basic graham cracker pie crust made with graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter. The recipe makes enough to line a deep-dish pie plate or cheesecake.
For a firm pie shell, bake it for 10 to 12 minutes or chill it thoroughly.
- For a Standard 8- or 9-Inch Pie Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs*
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- For a Thicker Crust for Cheesecake or Deep Dish Pie:
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1/3 cup sugar
Gather the ingredients.
If the recipe calls for a baked pie shell, heat the oven to 375 F.
In a large bowl combine all ingredients using the smaller amount for a standard 8 or 9-inch pie plate, or the larger amount for a springform pan or large, deep dish pie plate.
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
Press the crumbs firmly over bottom and up sides of the pie plate.
For an unbaked pie shell, chill for an hour before filling.
For a baked pie shell, bake it for about 8 to 10 minutes.
Place the pie shell on a rack and cool completely before filling.
- To make graham cracker crumbs, put the graham crackers in a plastic food storage bag, seal the bag, and use a rolling pin to crush the crackers until the crumbs are fine. Alternatively, put the crackers in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- It takes about 14 graham crackers (squares) to make 1 cup of fine crumbs.
- To loosen a chilled crust so it will release from the pie plate easily (and in one piece), heat the bottom and sides of the pie plate with a kitchen towel which has been rinsed in very hot water.
- Pecan Graham Cracker Crust: Reduce the crumbs by 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup of finely chopped pecans. For a walnut flavored crust, use chopped walnuts.
- Cinnamon-Spiced Graham Cracker Crust: Add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the crust mixture or about 3/4 teaspoon for a large crust.
- Peanut Graham Cracker Crust: Replace half of the graham cracker crumbs with chopped dry roasted peanuts. If desired, add 1/4 cup of grated or shaved semisweet chocolate to the peanut and crumb mixture. This makes an excellent crust for a peanut butter pie.
- Chocolate Graham Cracker Crust: Replace the graham crackers with chocolate graham crackers.
- For a lighter crust, replace the butter with yogurt or a light margarine.