This homemade pizza dough is easy to prepare and knead by hand. You could also put the dough in a bread machine on the dough cycle.
You'll find instructions for baking the pizza along with some topping suggestions below the recipe. Use a commercial pizza sauce or the quick homemade pizza sauce below.
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water, 110 F
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1/4 tp 2 1/2 cups
- all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Put the warm water in a cup; sprinkle the dry yeast over water and stir in sugar; let stand for about 10 minutes, or until it begins to foam.
- Combine 2 1/4 cups flour and salt in a large bowl; add the olive oil and the yeast mixture and stir until a stiff dough is formed.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Add extra flour as needed to keep the from sticking to your hands or the kneading surface.
- Place in a large bowl greased with shortening or butter; turn dough over to coat the dough well. Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. the dough should double in bulk.
- Heat the oven to 425 F (220 C/Gas 7). Lightly grease a 12- to 14-inch pizza pan and sprinkle with a few teaspoons of cornmeal.
- Punch down the dough; roll and stretch the dough to fit the prepared pizza pan. Keep dough slightly thick around the edges.
- Spread purchased or homemade pizza sauce over the dough. (See the basic sauce recipe below.)
- Add your family's favorite toppings and cheeses. I recommend 3 to 5 toppings plus cheese, but there really are no limits.
- Bake the pizza for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is browned, cheese has melted, and toppings are hot.
Topping and Cheese Suggestions
- Meat: pepperoni, ground beef, Italian sausage, bacon, ham, small meatballs, marinated grilled or fried chicken breast, barbecue chicken, steak strips.
- Veggies: red onions, bell pepper strips, sliced black olives, jalapeno peppers, mushrooms, tomato slices, spinach, fresh basil, pineapple, roasted red peppers.
- Cheeses: feta cheese, fresh mozzarella, shredded mozzarella or a mozzarella and cheddar blend, vegan cheese.
- Quick Pizza Sauce - Combine 1 can (14.5 ounces of diced tomatoes with 1 can (6 ounces) of tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons dried leaf oregano, 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic, and 1 teaspoon of sugar in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Taste and add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|