|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 46g||58%|
|Saturated Fat 29g||144%|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|Total Sugars 15g|
|Vitamin C 2mg||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Our lobster stew is relatively easy to make, quite delicious, and offers a new take on this delightful shellfish. Purchase whole lobsters or buy lobster meat pieces for stew, but be sure to have enough meat to serve a chunky and filling soup.
Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.
2 large lobsters, about 4 pounds total, cooked; or approximately 4 cups of lobster meat
4 to 6 tablespoons butter
6 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Paprika, to taste
Dry sherry, as desired, optional
Fresh chopped parsley, or sliced green onions, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
Remove meat from steamed lobsters and cut into cubes, or cube the already deshelled lobster meat.
Pan-fry meat in a generous amount of butter (4 to 6 tablespoons) until lightly browned. Be careful not to burn butter.
In a separate pan, heat up milk, being careful not to boil it.
Add lobster meat to hot milk and cook slowly for 5 to 10 minutes.
Stir in heavy cream and bring it nearly to a boil but not over. Lower heat.
Add salt and pepper to taste and a little paprika for color. If desired, stir in a dash of sherry for extra flavor.
Garnish with chopped parsley or sliced green onions.
- Add some crabmeat along with the lobster meat.
- Use ghee instead of butter.
- Oyster crackers or homemade croutons are a welcome addition to sprinkle on any seafood stew or chowder.
- Enjoy a glass of wine with your stew. Chardonnay or riesling are good choices of wine for lobster.
How to Buy Lobster
Here are a few tips on how to make the most out of a lobster purchase:
- Buy lobsters that seem heavy for their size.
- Choose lobsters that are continuously moving, have a hard shell, and have two antennae.
- Buy lobsters whose claw bands look clean and show no dirt or accumulated grime.
- Buy lobster with lively color. This doesn't mean that they have to be red, as this color only appears after they're cooked. By lively we mean healthy-looking, with a shade that can go from brown to blackish.
- Buying lobsters in the wintertime is pricier as the lobsters move offshore, and catching them requires more time and effort. Hotter months bring an abundance in lobster, so the prices go down. Because of the demand, these shellfish are very expensive in August, but the prices go down again in September. Fall is also a good time to buy quality lobster at a fair price.