This easy pie is an excellent way to use leftover roast beef or pork. For the biscuits, use refrigerated biscuits, frozen, or homemade.
The dish is made with homemade gravy, but in a pinch, you could use a jar of gravy or 2 cups of gravy made from a dry mix.
Cooked green beans, mixed vegetables, or diced cooked corn or carrots are all excellent choices for vegetables in the filling.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons green pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 2 cups beef (or pork, cooked and diced)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups meat stock (or part milk for creamy filling)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups mixed vegetables (or diced cooked carrots)
- 9 refrigerator biscuits (frozen or homemade)
Heat the oven to 450 F/230 C/Gas 8. Butter a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate or 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and diced meat. Cook, stirring until the vegetables are tender.
Add the flour slowly and cook stirring constantly, for 3 to 5 minutes. The roux should be lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients and stir to blend. Bring it to a simmer.
Meanwhile, if making homemade biscuits, prepare the dough and cut them out.
Pour the meat mixture into the prepared baking dish. Cover with the ready-made or homemade biscuits.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until biscuits are browned.until biscuits are browned.
- Top the hot baked casserole with shredded cheese and bake for a few more minutes, or just until the cheese melts.
- Use a gravy mix or gravy from a can or jar to replace the homemade gravy.