This is a basic Southern-style unsweetened cornbread, and it's delicious with beans, greens, or chili. If you like a sweet cornbread, feel free to add 3 to 4 tablespoons of sugar.
- 1 1/2 cups stone ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan. Heat oven to 350°.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl or large cup, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, and egg.
- Combine the two mixtures until blended and spread in the prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.
You might also be interested in:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|