This traditional shepherd's pie is made with lamb. Shepherd's pie, also known as Cottage pie when it's made with beef, is an old English favorite. It is a family favorite on either side of the Atlantic.
- 2 cups roast lamb (cooked and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cups gravy (from roasted lamb or prepared beef gravy)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups mashed potato (prepared with milk and seasonings as desired)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Combine the chopped lamb, gravy, and chopped onion; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Line the bottom of a buttered baking dish with a layer of half of the seasoned mashed potatoes.
- Add meat mixture then cover with remaining mashed potatoes. Or, meat and gravy can be put in the baking dish first then topped with all of the mashed potatoes.
- Dot mashed potato topping with butter, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika, then bake for about 30 minutes, or until the mashed potato topping is browned and the pie is thoroughly heated.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|