- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Generously butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Place the cubed squash, chopped onion, salt, and freshly ground black pepper in a large saucepan.
- Add a small amount of water (about 1 inch). Cover and cook the squash until tender, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary.
- Drain the squash and onions thoroughly.
- Return to the pan and stir in the butter. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper to your taste.
- Stir the crumbled crackers into the squash mixture.
- Turn the squash and cracker mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the milk over the squash and then sprinkle with the cheese and chopped pecans or bread crumbs.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the milk is absorbed and the squash casserole is bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|