|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 18g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 14g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This pastry cream is flavorful and a very easy recipe to prepare. Just have ice water in the sink ready to cool the custard quickly.
Use this pastry cream as a filling for layer cakes, cream puffs or eclairs, or use it to fill a sponge cake roll or cream-filled doughnuts.
Gather the ingredients.
In a heat-safe container large enough to hold a medium saucepan, fill with about 1 to 2 inches of ice water.
In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly, until well blended.
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir with whisk to blend thoroughly. Whisk in about 1/2 cup of the milk mixture and stir until smooth. Gradually whisk in remaining milk mixture until thoroughly blended.
Put pan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until mixture begins to thicken. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, continuing to stir constantly.
Immediately place pan in container with the ice water. Stir frequently as mixture cools. Stir in vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste.
Press a sheet of plastic wrap onto surface of custard to prevent a skin from forming. Transfer bowl to refrigerator to chill thoroughly.
- Lemon - Add the juice and zest of 1 small lemon along with the vanilla extract.
- Vanilla Bean - Reduce the vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste.
- Chocolate - Add 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder to the sugar and cornstarch mixture OR stir 3 ounces of melted semisweet chocolate into the hot pastry cream just before you take it off the burner.
- Coffee - To the milk, add 1 tablespoon of espresso powder or instant coffee granules.
- Strawberry, Blueberry, or Raspberry - Add about 1/3 cup of seedless raspberry jam, blueberry jam, or strawberry jam along with the vanilla.
- Other Flavorings - Add along with the vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon of almond, coconut, or mint flavoring.