Renowned Virginia cocktailian Todd Thrasher has created this cocktail around Basil Hayden's bourbon as an homage to the sweet fruit candies that were once prevalent throughout the southern United States.
While this isn't the quickest cocktail to produce, if you are looking for a unique way to celebrate Independence Day, this may be the drink for you. Redolent of honey, peaches and pecans, this drink is both tasty and complex. Try one and let me know what you think.
- For the Cocktail:
- 2 ounces Basil Hayden's bourbon
- 1 1/2 ounces pecan peach water (see instructions below)
- 1 dash peach bitters
- Garnish: lemon twist
- For the Pecan Peach Water:
- 1 quart pecan pieces
- 2 peaches (roughly chopped)
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 quart honey
- In a mixing glass, combine all ingredients with ice.
- Stir for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a coupe glass and garnish with a large lemon twist
Pecan Peach Water
- On a baking sheet, spread pecans evenly and toast in a 300 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes or until oils begin to come out of the pecans.
- Bring water to a boil on a stovetop.
- Reduce to a simmer and add honey and peaches.
- Add pecan pieces to the water & honey mixture and allow to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Strain first through a chinois then through a coffee filter to remove sediment and solids.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||82 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||46 g|
|Dietary Fiber||40 g|