These delectable T-Bone steaks are rubbed with a basil-oregano mixture and placed onto the grill. The secret is a hot sear to give the steaks a rich brown color and the perfect crust before finishing them off at a lower temperature. This is important since these are very thick cut steaks.
- 2 t-bone steaks (about 2 inches/5 cm thick)
- For the Wet Rub:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup oregano (fresh, chopped)
- 4 to 5 basil leaves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon salt (sea salt preferred)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat grill to a medium high heat.
For charcoal make a two-layer fire, so you have a hot side and a medium side.
Combine wet rub ingredients and slather onto both sides of steak.
Let steaks sit for a few minutes.
Place steaks on a hot grill and cook for about 2 minutes per side, as long as there are good grill marks.
Reduce heat or move to the medium side of the grill.
Continue grilling for 10-12 minutes or until the steaks reach the desired doneness.
Once cooked, remove from heat and let steaks rest for at least 5 minutes.
Serve with your favorite sides. I recommend grilled vegetables.