|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Pounds Oxtails (8 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 21g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Oxtails are slowly braised with onion, celery, carrots, garlic, wine, and herbs for a hearty meal.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines by Jeff Smith (Wm Morrow).
- 4 pounds oxtails, rubbed with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves peeled garlic
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups homemade beef stock or use canned
- 1-1/2 cups red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, whole
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Remove the oxtails to a 6- to 8-quart heavy stove-top pot.
When the onions are clear, add the flour and stir in well.
Saute a few minutes longer and add the beef stock, bay leaves, and thyme, along with the oxtails.