Oxtails are slowly braised with onion, celery, carrots, garlic, wine, and herbs for a hearty meal.
- 4 pounds oxtails, rubbed with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves peeled garlic
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups homemade beef stock or use canned
- 1-1/2 cups red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, whole
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Using a large black frying pan, brown the seasoned oxtails in the olive oil. You will need to do this in about 3 batches.
- Remove the oxtails to a 6- to 8-quart heavy stove-top pot.
- Leave the oil in the frying pan and saute the celery, onion, carrots, garlic, shallots, and parsley.
- When the onions are clear, add the flour and stir in well.
- Saute a few minutes longer and add the beef stock, bay leaves, and thyme, along with the oxtails.
- Simmer partially covered for 2 hours, or until tender. Stir occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste as the dish finishes.
Source: by Jeff Smith (William Morrow)
Reprinted with permission.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|