|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The bay breeze is a simple mixed drink that brings the tropical taste of pineapple into the popular mix of vodka and cranberry. It is an easy, delicious, and refreshing drink that can be mixed up in a minute and is a cocktail recipe that every bartender should know.
Like the other "duo" and "trio" drinks that mix vodka with fruit juice, the bay breeze (also called a Hawaiian sea breeze or a Downeaster) is an uncomplicated highball recipe. It requires your favorite vodka—it doesn't have to be an expensive or top-shelf one—and equal parts of cranberry and pineapple juices to fill the glass.
Despite its simplicity, the bay breeze packs a flavorful punch. There are also a number of options for giving this fun, everyday drink a quick twist.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 3 ounces cranberry juice
- 3 ounces pineapple juice
- Garnish: lime wedge
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the vodka into an ice-filled highball glass.
Top with equal amounts of cranberry and pineapple juices.
Garnish with a lime wedge. Serve and enjoy!
- Drinks like this are a perfect opportunity to save a little money. Find a smooth, budget-friendly vodka to pour and save the really good bottles for vodka martinis, where you want the flavor of the spirit to come through.
- The bay breeze can even be made short in an old-fashioned glass for a slightly stronger drink, or weaker with more juice in a larger glass. No matter the volume, pour equal amounts of the two juices.
- Make up a pitcher and serve it for brunch. If you measure it in parts, it's easy to increase. Just keep the vodka at 1 part and the juices at 1 1/2 parts each.
- Play with flavored vodkas. Fruit vodkas are a good choice and experimenting with your homemade herbal or multi-flavored infusions is a fun option as well.
- Add some sparkle by topping it with soda or sparkling wine.
- Add ice cubes with fruit frozen inside. Small berries, like raspberries, are perfect and you can even use herbs such as lavender or rosemary. Fill the ice cube trays halfway, let them freeze partially, add the fruit or herb, then fill and freeze.
- If you switch out one of the juices, you'll create another cocktail. The sea breeze is a mix of cranberry and grapefruit, and the madras is cranberry and orange juice. Pouring melon liqueur with vodka and pineapple creates a Pearl Harbor.
How Strong Is a Bay Breeze?
Vodka highballs are low-proof drinks because of the high concentration of fruit juice. For the bay breeze, the alcohol content should be around 9 percent ABV (18 proof), which is right in between the strength of beer and wine.