|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Do you remember Bazooka Joe? You know, the bubblegum you got as a kid for a nickel that lasted forever and led to contests to see who could chew the most and get the biggest bubble. Well, this shot is designed to taste just like that childhood favorite treat.
The Bazooka Joe shooter is fun and the taste does closely resemble the gum's initial sweet flavor. Even if it didn't, the combination of Irish cream, banana, and blue curaçao liqueurs creates a rather delicious shot. It's easy to mix up and remember, too, because the three ingredients are poured in equal amounts. Overall, it's a great choice for a party, especially if you're looking for a blue drink that everyone's sure to enjoy!
- 1/2 ounce Irish cream liqueur
- 1/2 ounce banana liqueur
- 1/2 ounce blue curacao liqueur
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the liqueurs.
- With shooters like this, it's often best to make more than one at a time. For instance, pouring 1 ounce of each ingredient creates two shots, so go ahead and share.
- Irish cream and blue curaçao are very common liqueurs and regularly stocked in bars. The banana liqueur is a little more obscure, though most liquor stores should have at least one option. One of the most popular brands is 99 Bananas and you'll find it from other well-known liqueur producers like Bols, Hiram Walker, and Dekuyper.
- Don't worry too much if you run out of blue curaçao. Any other orange-flavored liqueur (e.g., triple sec, Grand Marnier) will make a good substitute in a pinch. The shot will taste the same, but you will lose the fun blue color.
- If you don't have a cocktail shaker, simply stir the liqueurs with ice in a tall glass and strain it into a shot glass. You could also just pour them straight into the glass, but to get the real Bazooka Joe taste they need to be mixed. That's going to be a messy business in a tiny glass!
- There are not many good substitutes for the three liqueurs. However, RumChata would be a nice alternative to Irish cream and will not alter the shot's flavor too much.
- You could skip the banana flavor and use another fruity liqueur instead. Strawberry, raspberry, and grape would all be fun alternatives to customize your bubblegum experience.
How Strong Is a Bazooka Joe?
The banana liqueur you choose to use in the Bazooka Joe is going to play a big part in the shot's alcohol content. While the other two liqueurs are nearly the same proof despite the brand, banana's a different story. Most banana liqueurs (including Bols) weigh in around 17 percent ABV (34 proof); 99 Bananas, however, is a whopping 99 proof (49.5 percent ABV). That means your Bazooka Joe made with Bols will be about 11 percent ABV (22 proof), and one with 99 Bananas will shake up to 19 percent ABV (38 proof).
Either way, this shot is not the strongest you can mix up. However, it's sweet taste can trick you into drinking one too many, so it's still best to take it easy.