|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 12|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||21%|
|Total Carbohydrate 3g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Garlic bread rises to an entirely new plane with this beach bread recipe, a popular restaurant appetizer in South Florida. It's just traditional garlic bread topped with chopped tomatoes, blue cheese, chives, and mozzarella. People have been known to make a meal out of beach bread. It is much like a sauceless French bread pizza and is quite addictive.
- 1 long loaf (about 3 feet) French bread (cut into 3 pieces, then sliced in half)
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Onion powder (to taste)
- Garlic powder (to taste)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes (seeded, diced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives (chopped, may substitute thin-sliced green onions with tops)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
Brush cut sides of French bread with melted butter. Sprinkle lightly with onion powder and garlic powder. Top with blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese, tomatoes, chives or green onions, mozzarella, and parsley.
Bake about 10 to 15 minutes, until bread is crusty on the outside and the top is melted and just beginning to turn golden.
Serve as is for an appetizer or serve it as an accompaniment for a classic spaghetti dinner or any other pasta dish like linguine with clam sauce.
- Italian bread or any other crusty white bread may be substituted for the French bread. The amounts are approximate, so feel free to simply follow the method you use with your favorite bread when making garlic bread.