This comforting, economical, easy to make hot dog casserole with beans, green bell pepper, onions, and cheese is sure to be a hit with the whole family! The casserole is as attractive as it is flavorful. Chili powder, tomato sauce, and mustard make a flavorful sauce for the beans and vegetables.
Serve with biscuits or cornbread for a delicious family meal.
- 1 green bell pepper (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 onion (large, coarsely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (16-ounce) can baked beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 pound hot dogs (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 4 slices American cheese (halved diagonally, or use 1/2 cup of shredded cheese)
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole.
In a skillet, sauté the onion and green pepper in vegetable oil for about 5 minutes, or until onion is tender. Add the beans, corn, tomato sauce, chili powder, and mustard; stir to blend. Add sliced hot dogs and stir to blend ingredients.
Pour hot dog and beans mixture into the prepared 2-quart casserole.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Arrange cheese slices over the top of casserole and bake for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese has melted.