This is an easy bread machine pumpernickel bread. Use the dough cycle of the bread machine if you prefer a round loaf.
From Bea: "This is a bread machine recipe for a dark pumpernickel. My family thinks it tastes just like Steak & Ale's brown bread. We also think it works great for tuna salad sandwiches. Hope you enjoy."
- 1 1/3 cups strong coffee
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/3 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Fill bread machine and bake according to bread machine manufacturer's directions.
- To make a free-form loaf or boule, use the dough cycle. Remove the dough and shape on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Cover the bread with a kitchen towel and let it rise for about 45 minutes to 1 hour in a draft-free place. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 25 to 35 minutes. The loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|