This beef and Guinness stew is super easy to make with some bacon, stewing beef, Guinness Stout, and vegetables. It's the perfect stew to make on a cold day. Or make it for your St. Patrick's Day celebration. Guinness Stout adds bold flavor to this hearty beef stew. Use round or lean chuck in this recipe.
Enjoy the stew with crusty rolls or biscuits along with a tossed salad and a mug of stout. Or serve it with this classic Irish soda bread. Prepare it on the weekend for a busy Monday meal. The recipe makes about six generous servings.
- 3 thick slices bacon (diced)
- 2 pounds lean stew beef, round or lean chuck (cut in 1-inch cubes)1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large onions (chopped, about 2 to 3 cups)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 to 3 cups carrots (diced or sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups Guinness stout
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 2 to 3 cups diced potatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- To taste: salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the bacon, turning, until lightly browned.
- In a food storage bag, combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and pepper. Add beef cubes and toss until well coated.
- Add the beef and onions to the bacon and continue cooking, frequently turning, until beef and onions are browned. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer. Add the carrots, stout, and broth. Stir in the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Add the bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook at a low simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until beef is very tender.
- Add the thyme and potatoes to the beef mixture and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes longer, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the parsley and add salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Serve with crusty rolls, biscuits, or slices of freshly baked Irish soda bread.
Related: Mom's Homemade Beef Stew