|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Parmesan cheese and tomatoes highlight this tasty ground beef and Italian sausage meatloaf.
Serve the meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans for a tasty family dinner.
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed, about 2 to 3 links
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup soft fine bread crumbs
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, divided
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green or red sweet bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried leaf basil
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
Lightly oil a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Heat oven to 375 F.
Combine beef, sausage, egg, and breadcrumbs in a large bowl.
Chop the tomatoes or pulse in a food processor.
Put half of the tomatoes into the meat mixture, along with chopped onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Add the basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and cheese. Mix until blended.
Pack the meat mixture into the loaf pan.
Bake for 1 hour.
Top with remaining diced tomatoes and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes longer.
Let rest for a few minutes; transfer to a platter and slice.
Serves 4 to 6.