- 1 1/2 pounds stew beef
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 to 2 medium carrots (sliced)
- 2 ribs celery (sliced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine (such as Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary (chopped, or a dash of crumbled dried rosemary)
- 1 (15 ounce) jar small onions (or 10 to 16 ounces frozen small onions, thawed)
- Trim stew beef and cut in small bite-size pieces. Put in a food storage bag with the flour, onion powder, and seasoned salt; toss to coat well.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat; add beef to hot oil and cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Add the diced onion and celery; continue cooking, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, garlic, broth, wine, and rosemary; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add drained or thawed whole small onions. Continue cooking for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until beef is tender.
- Serve with biscuits or hot cooked noodles.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|