|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This flavorful beef stew is the perfect meal for a potluck. It's easy to prepare with stewing beef, broth, a little red wine, and vegetables.
- 1 1/2 pounds stew beef
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 to 2 medium carrots (sliced)
- 2 ribs celery (sliced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine (such as Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary (chopped, or a dash of crumbled dried rosemary)
- 1 (15 ounce) jar small onions (or 10 to 16 ounces frozen small onions, thawed)
Trim stew beef and cut in small bite-size pieces. Put in a food storage bag with the flour, onion powder, and seasoned salt; toss to coat well.
Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat; add beef to hot oil and cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
Add the diced onion and celery; continue cooking, stirring, for about 3 minutes.
Add carrots, garlic, broth, wine, and rosemary; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add drained or thawed whole small onions. Continue cooking for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until beef is tender.
Serve with biscuits or hot cooked noodles.