Beef Consommé is a hearty, full-bodied broth. For the best flavor, use veal stock that is homemade. In a pinch, you can use store-bought beef broth. The sprig of thyme is optional but adds a nice herbal note.
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns (crushed)
- 4 egg whites
- 4 eggshells (crushed)
- 3 R oma tomatoes (quartered)
- 4 ribs celery (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 lb premium ground beef (sirloin)
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups veal (or beef stock)
- Whisk peppercorns, egg whites, and eggshells until the mixture turns foamy. In a food processor, pulse together the tomatoes, celery, and beef a few times.
- Combine the veal or beef stock, the vegetable-beef mixture, the eggs, thyme, and salt in a large stockpot and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer, without stirring, for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine-mesh sieve lined with a double layer of cheesecloth. Discard contents of sieve and salt broth, if desired. Serve hot.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|