|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Empanadas can be appetizers, filling snacks or desserts, or a meal on the go, depending on what size you make them. Roll out your homemade empanada dough—or buy the circles of dough ready-made—and stuff them with this tasty, hearty filling to make empanadas that will be a favorite year-round and in a variety of roles.
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease (pork lard or vegetable oil)
- 1 large onion (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 pounds/900 grams beef (ground)
- 1 cup beef broth (homemade or from a jar/box)
- 1/4 cup green olives (pitted and finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup raisins (soaked in warm water for 1 hour)
- 2 small potatoes (diced into 1/2- inch cubes and boiled until soft)
- 2 eggs (hardboiled, coarsely chopped)
Note: The olives and raisins add great flavor and texture to this dish, but don´t hesitate to omit either of them if you need to, as the filling will still be very good without one of these ingredients.
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the bacon grease, lard, or oil in a medium-sized pan. Sautee the onions and garlic over medium heat for 1 minute.
Add the ground beef; continue to cook and stir. When the beef has all browned, add the broth, olives, and raisins and bring to a simmer. Let cook, uncovered, until the liquid has almost all evaporated.
Remove from heat and fold in the cooked potatoes and eggs.