- 1 1/2 pounds cubed stew beef or combination of beef and pork
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water or beef broth
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, but in 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon flour mixed with 2 tablespoons water, optional
- Brown the beef cubes in the oil in a Dutch oven or stockpot.
- Add onion and cook until lightly browned, or about 5 to 8 minutes. Add herbs and seasonings, tomatoes, water or broth, and bell pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes longer.
- If desired, thicken with a paste made with 1 tablespoon of flour mixed with 2 tablespoons of water, then cook until thickened.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|