|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||27%|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||17%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Sweet paprika and caraway seeds flavor this beefy goulash, along with bell peppers and diced tomatoes.
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed stew beef or combination of beef and pork
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water or beef broth
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, but in 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon flour mixed with 2 tablespoons water, optional
Add onion and cook until lightly browned, or about 5 to 8 minutes. Add herbs and seasonings, tomatoes, water or broth, and bell pepper.
Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes longer.
If desired, thicken with a paste made with 1 tablespoon of flour mixed with 2 tablespoons of water, then cook until thickened.