Homemade mixes are a wonderful way to help you stick to a diet, whether you are reducing calories or sodium or must stay away from artificial ingredients. You can vary it to your taste to omit the ingredients you can't or won't eat. You may want to add cayenne pepper or different herbs to the recipe. Whatever changes you make, write them down
This recipe makes a well-flavored and rich gravy that is perfect over meatloaf, any roast beef, or mashed potatoes.
Keep in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
- 1-1/3 cups dry nonfat milk powder
- 3/4 cup instant blend flour (Wondra)
- 1/4 cup beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons instant onion (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sauce for gravy (Kitchen Bouquet), if desired
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk powder, flour, bouillon granules, instant minced onion, thyme, onion powder, marjoram, and pepper, and stir with a wire whisk to blend thoroughly.
- Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut in the butter until butter is evenly distributed and particles are fine. Drizzle brown sauce for gravy, if using, over the mixture and stir with a wire whisk until blended.
- Spoon the mix into a 3 cup container with a tight-fitting lid and store in the refrigerator. Label with date and contents. Use the gravy mix within 4 to 6 weeks.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|