|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This beef stew with sweet potatoes is flavored with everyday seasonings and a hint of ground cinnamon. This is an excellent stew for fall meals.
You can use beef labeled "stewing beef" in the recipe or use lean chuck, round, or sirloin, cubed. Dice the beef into bite-size cubes, or about 1/2- to 1-inch.
The vegetables in this stew include a large sweet potato and frozen peas or green beans, but feel free to use mixed vegetables or corn in the stew instead.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean stewing beef
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (kosher)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion (or 2 medium, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (or 1 if very large)
- 1/2 cup beef stock (homemade, canned, or from bouillon or base)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 cup peas (frozen, or green beans, thawed)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 tablespoon flour (mixed with 2 tablespoons water)
- Garnish: fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
Cut the stewing beef into bite-size pieces.
In a bowl or a paper bag or food storage bag, toss the stew beef with the flour and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the coated beef cubes and sliced onion to the pan and cook, stirring, until the beef is well browned.
Peel the sweet potato and cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch cubes. You should have about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of cubes.
Place the sweet potato cubes in the Crock Pot; add beef and onions.
Mix beef broth with cinnamon and pour over beef mixture.
Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours, or until the beef is tender.
Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, as needed.
Add peas or green beans during the last 15 to 20 minutes.
If you would like to thicken the stew, combine the flour and water and stir to make a smooth paste. Add to the stew and turn to HIGH. Cook for about 10 minutes longer, or until thickened.
Tips and Variations
Add 2 sliced carrots to the stew mixture along with the cubed sweet potatoes.
Add 2 ribs of celery, sliced.
Replace the peas or green beans with frozen mixed vegetables or frozen corn kernels.
You Might Also Like