These beef tips are simmered for several hours, or until the beef is very tender. It's a stovetop recipe, but can be cooked in the slow cooker as well. See the variations below the recipe for slow cooker directions and some other variations.
- 1 pound beef tips (cut into small pieces)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup beef stock (low sodium, to cover)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or flour)
- 2 tablespoons water (cold)
- hot cooked rice or noodles
- Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef tips and onions; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until the beef is nicely browned.
- Add the beef stock to the beef and onions. Cover and simmer over low heat for 3 to 4 hours, or until meat is fork tender.
- Combine the cornstarch with the cold water and stir until smooth.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture into the simmering liquid. Cook, stirring, for a few more minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve over with rice or noodles with a vegetable on the side.
- Slow Cooker - Combine the beef, onion, salt and pepper, and 1 cup of beef broth in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the beef is very tender. Strain the liquids into a saucepan and place it over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Combine the cornstarch and water to form a smooth mixture; stir the cornstarch mixture into the liquids and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add the sauce back to the beef tips and serve over rice or noodles.
- Add 1 cup of sliced fresh mushrooms to the skillet with the beef and onions. Or add 1 small can or jar of mushrooms (drained) to the beef tips along with the beef broth.
You Might Also Like