|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||11%|
|Total Carbohydrate 55g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 13g||47%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Serve this delicious and hearty soup with crusty bread or rolls and a tossed salad. The beef shanks on the bone add extra flavor to the broth. If you don't have beef shanks, use an extra 1/2 to 1 pound of stewing beef.
- 1/2 pound of stew beef (cut into small pieces)
- 1 or 2 meaty beef shanks
- 2 cups carrots (sliced thin)
- 2 ribs celery (with tops, sliced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Optional: 3/4 cup frozen lima beans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 4 to 5 cups beef broth (preferably low sodium)
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (thawed under cold running water)
Gather the ingredients.
Add everything but the barley and peas to the 5 to 6-quart crock pot. Add water to within 1 1/2 inches of the top and stir. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until the beef is tender. Remove the beef shanks to a plate and cut the meat from the bones. Discard the bones.
Add the beef back to the slow cooker along with the barley. Increase the heat to HIGH and cook for about 1 hour and 45 minutes longer. Add the thawed peas and continue cooking on HIGH for about 15 minutes longer, or until the barley is tender.
Serve and enjoy!
- Wrap a loaf of crusty bread, and warm it in a 350 F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until warm. Serve with the soup.
- Freeze leftover soup in 1 or 2-cup individual portions.
- Add 1 cup of frozen corn kernels along with the barley.
- The vegetables are versatile as well. Feel free to add some sliced mushrooms, diced rutabaga, or parsnips to the soup.