This burrito casserole is easy to fix and cook in the slow cooker. You may use whole flour tortillas or tortilla strips if you like, and add some ripe olives to the mixture.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 red or green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 envelope burrito or taco seasoning mix
- 1 jalapeno pepper (minced, or use 1 can chopped mild green chilies)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 to 8 corn tortillas (cut in strips)
In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef with the onion, jalapeno pepper, and bell pepper.
Stir in burrito seasoning and refried beans.
Spray the crock pot lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Spread about 3 tablespoons of salsa over the bottom of the pot.
Place a layer of tortilla strips over the salsa, then a layer of ground beef and bean mixture, a sprinkling of shredded cheese then a few tablespoons of salsa.
Repeat layers, ending with salsa.
Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours. Serve with rice.