|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||29%|
|Total Carbohydrate 54g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 15g||53%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This hearty chili gets extra heat and flavor from jalapeno peppers and garlic. Top this chili with a little shredded Cheddar cheese or sliced green onions and serve it along with your favorite cornbread.
- 2 pounds ground beef (85% lean, or use part ground pork)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 (4 ounces) can green chili peppers (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons jalapeno peppers (minced)
- 1 large (28 ounces) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (about half of a 6-ounce can)
- 1 (15 ounces) can pinto beans (drained)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- Optional: 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the onion until no longer pink and the onion is tender.
Add the bell pepper and garlic and continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add the canned chili peppers and jalapeno peppers and cook for 1 minute more.
Transfer to the slow cooker* and add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, pinto beans, chili powder, sugar, cumin, cayenne and black pepper, and salt, to taste.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 4 hours.
This can also be cooked on the stovetop. Use a Dutch oven to brown the meat and vegetables as above. Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours.