This hearty chili gets extra heat and flavor from jalapeno peppers and garlic. Top this chili with a little shredded Cheddar cheese or sliced green onions and serve it along with your favorite cornbread.
This chili can be cooked in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. The recipe is easily doubled for a crowd.
- 2 pounds ground beef, 85% lean, or use part ground pork
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chili peppers
- 3 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers
- 1 large can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste, about half of a 6-ounce can
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the onion until no longer pink and the onion is tender. Add the bell pepper and garlic and continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the canned chili peppers and jalapeno peppers and cook for 1 minute more.
Transfer to the slow cooker* and add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, pinto beans, chili powder, sugar, cumin, cayenne and black pepper, and salt, to taste.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 4 hours.
*This can also be cooked on the stovetop. Use a Dutch oven to brown the meat and vegetables as above. Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours.
Serves 6 to 8.
You Might Also Like
Serve this flavorful ground beef and black bean chili with cornbread or corn waffles. This chili makes an excellent everyday family meal, or make a big batch for a game day gathering.
This slow cooker chili is made with chicken and chicken sausage, along with white beans, corn, and seasonings.
Ness's chili recipe is made with ground beef and stew beef chunks, along with tomatoes, kidney beans, and seasonings.
This ground turkey (or ground beef) chili is flavored with salsa and classic chili seasonings. Pinto beans are added to this chili. The chili is cooked in the slow cooker, topped with a little sour cream or shredded cheese and sliced ripe olives.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||15 g|