|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||31%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Ground beef and tomatoes make these slow cooker lima beans hearty and tasty. This dish is made with dried lima beans or butter beans. Plan to soak the lima beans overnight.
- 1 pound butter beans (dried; or lima beans or baby lima beans)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 ribs celery (chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (chopped)
- 4 to 5 sprigs parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons Cajun-style seasoning (or other seasoning blend with salt and spices)
- 3 to 4 slices bacon (diced)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can/14.5 ounces tomatoes
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Gather the ingredients.
- Cover dried lima beans with about 6 cups of water and soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans; transfer to crockpot.
- Cover with fresh water and add the chopped onions, bell peppers, celery, carrots, and parsley.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 4 hours, or until beans are tender. Drain off excess liquids. Alternatively, simmer the mixture on the stovetop until beans are tender, then add the drained bean and vegetable mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add oregano and Cajun seasoning to the slow cooker bean mixture. In a skillet over medium heat, brown diced bacon and ground beef; pour off excess fat then add to lima bean mixture along with tomatoes. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for about 3 to 4 hours on LOW. Serve with cornbread.