Pinto beans and rice make a delicious and hearty everyday meal with cornbread or biscuits. The pinto beans and rice are cooked and then mixed with beef, tomato sauce, and seasonings. It's an easy casserole, and it's easy on the budget.
Related Recipe: Country Baked Pinto Beans
- 1 pound dry pinto beans
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt (less if you added salt to the beans or rice)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 to 6 strips of bacon
- Soak the beans overnight or follow the package directions for quick soak.
- Place the beans in a 4-quart, covered Dutch oven. Cover with water and cook, following package directions, until tender, adding more hot water as needed. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the rice following the package instructions; add to the beans and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a skillet heat oil, add ground beef, salt, onion, and pepper. Cook until ground beef is no longer pink.
- Add the beef mixture to the rice and beans along with the tomato sauce and chili powder. Mix well and transfer the mixture to a 2-quart casserole or baking dish.
- Place strips of bacon over top and bake at 350 F for 30 to 45 minutes, or until bacon is browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||17 g|