This tasty barbecue sauce gets a little spirited flavor from the beer. The barbecue sauce is simmered slowly until it's reduced and nicely thickened. Use this flavorful sauce on burgers, wings, or in shredded beef or pork barbecue.
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or butter)
- 1 cup beer
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 tablespoons red wine vineger (or cider vinegar)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
In a large saucepan, cook the onion in the vegetable oil or butter until tender. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.*
Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 20 to 30 minutes, until thickened and reduced to about 2 cups.
Taste and adjust seasonings.
*Note: To keep spattering to a minimum, use a deep saucepan and cover loosely with a mesh spatter shield.
Makes about 2 cups.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|