|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 20 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Serve these tasty hush puppies with fried catfish, seafood, chili, or barbecue. They make an excellent change of pace from baked cornbread.
- 1 cup cornmeal (about 4 3/4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 2 green onions (finely chopped)
- 1 or 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers (finely minced)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup beer
- Optional: tabasco sauce or cayenne
Gather the ingredients.
Put about 2 inches of peanut oil or canola oil in a deep, heavy pan. Heat to 360 F.
In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir to blend. Stir in the chopped onion, green onions, and jalapeno peppers, if using.
In a cup, whisk the egg with the beer. If desired, add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce or cayenne.
Pour the beer mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until blended.
Drop by rounded teaspoon or small cookie scoop into the hot oil.
Fry in batches of 6 to 8, turning after a minute or two, until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 dozen hush puppies.
Serve and enjoy!
- To jazz them up a bit, add a tablespoon or two of finely minced jalapeno peppers or a few dashes of Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper.