Get ready for a show-stopping cake that is the perfect marriage of dessert and drinks! Beer is incorporated into a decadent chocolate cake that has been accented with chopped maraschino cherries and walnuts. Beer is also whisked into a delectable chocolate frosting that is spread over the top of the sheet cake.
Adding beer to cakes is actually beneficial in more ways than one. The carbonation in beer adds leavening to baked goods, giving extra lift and a tender texture to cakes. Beer also lends flavor to your favorite recipes. For this dish, try using dark stout beer for both the cake and the frosting. Both porters and stouts are brewed with a dark roasted malt, lending notes of cocoa and coffee to the beer. These complex and deep flavor notes add sophistication and interest to the sweet cake and frosting.
- Chocolate and Cherry Beer Cake:
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold beer
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 jar (10-ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped, juice reserved
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Chocolate Beer Frosting:
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons beer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch cake pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt together; set aside.
In large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, melted chocolate, and vanilla extract.
Add dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture alternately with the beer, buttermilk, and reserved cherry juice.
Add the chopped maraschino cherries and nuts.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Set the cake on a wire rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the chocolate beer frosting: In a large bowl, combine the cocoa powder, butter, corn syrup, beer, vanilla extract, and salt.
Add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
Spread evenly over the cake.
Cut into to squares to serve and enjoy! Of course, this tastes great washed down with a mug of your favorite beer!
- Before you begin, be sure to drain the jar of maraschino cherries reserving the juice. The juice should measure about 2/3 cup.
- Feel free to use your favorite beer in this recipe. If you are looking for a suggestion, a porter or stout will pair well with the chocolate notes in this cake.