This recipe for a Mediterranean beet salad with feta presents a great collection of tastes: sweet, salty, and tart, with peppery notes from the arugula. It's delicious any time of year and pairs particularly well with roast chicken.
- For the Salad:
- 2 large beets
- 1/2 small red onion (thinly sliced into half rounds)
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup mint (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Trim greens from beets, but do not peel or cut into beet itself to prevent bleeding. Put whole beets in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer beets to an ice bath to stop cooking.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, allspice, salt and pepper to taste, and 2 tablespoons mint.
- Place onions in a bowl, coat with some of the vinaigrette, and allow to sit for 15 minutes to soften the onions' bite.
- Cut beets into bite size pieces.
- Arrange greens on a platter, add beets, sprinkle with feta and remaining mint, and dress with vinaigrette.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|